Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Enclave by Ann Aguirre




The Skinny: I wish I could reclaim the hours I spent reading this book.

Deuce, our unlikable heroine, lives in underground tunnels with a community of sadistic, strange individuals. Everyone is sorted into various positions when they come of age, and our Deuce is a Huntress. She is tasked with fighting off zombie creatures that also live in the tunnels. Fade, the only normal person in the book, is paired up with Deuce to keep the zombie hamster population at bay. Deuce and Fade are kicked out of the community and forced to live above ground.
I am so thankful that I completed reading this book. It was difficult, but I persevered. It should be something I list on my applications to university – ability to read ridiculous books to completion. It says a lot about my dedication and commitment to projects.
There are so many aspects of this story that I dislike that it is difficult to pinpoint the factor that tanks the story. Perhaps it is that Deuce’s best friends are eager and willing to shun her from the community. No, I think it might be that Deuce is a heartless, ogress who believes that her friend is weak for allowing herself to be raped. Or, maybe it has something to do with Deuce possibly falling for a sexual predator. The book is just tasteless and absurd. The storyline makes no sense, and I found myself wanting to burn the pages while making a sacrifice and praying to Zeus to prevent similar books from being published.
It is beyond me why Deuce and Fade would invite a rapist to join them on their quest to find safety. I am also unsure why this physically and mentally strong female character suddenly lacks ordinary quickness and keenness of mind when it comes to Fade’s falling in love with her. Furthermore, how could Fade fall in love with someone who blames a rape victim? Ah, I forgot that Fade told said rape victim that she might like being back in her prison than being free amongst friendly people. Birds of a feather…
There are many reviews that praise this book, but this is certainly not one of them. There is not a single thing I like about this story.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think this book would annoy me for the same reasons as you. It bugs me when characters do things that make no sense and don't fit with the story. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your "skinny" - hyserical!!! I look for short reviews like yours!! I hate when people write long ones! I try and avoid writing long ones!!!

    Thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete