Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder



The Skinny: An enjoyable read that fans of Before I Fall by Oliver will enjoy.

In The Probability of Miracles, we meet Cam, a 17-year-old girl suffering from cancer. When her doctors tell her that there is nothing left to be done, Cam decides to allow her family to take her to a tiny town in Maine known for its healing powers. When we are first introduced to Cam, we gather that she is desperate to experience typical teenage events. Throughout the course of our journey with Cam and her family, we witness her checking off items on her list of experiences to accomplish before she dies.

Wunder does an excellent job in crafting a story that is charming, funny, heartwarming, and heartbreaking. It is an impossible novel, because Wunder’s storyline and characters are so wonderful that the audience will grow to love them even when we know what will transpire at the end of the novel.

Wunder is a great writer and has the ability to develop dialogue and scenes that make readers chuckle. In several scenes, the reader can physically experience the mortification that Cam endures as a result of her antics. It is rare, in my opinion, that writers can create a story that has the ability to impart the character’s feelings onto the audience.

The Probability of Miracles is quirky and bittersweet. I enjoyed this reading experience and am left feeling simultaneously pleasant and painful.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why I really want to check this book out, but I do. I wasn't the biggest fan of Before I Fall, but I am massively intrigued.

    ReplyDelete