Monday, May 21, 2012

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris



The Skinny: Each new addition to this once great series is progressively worse than the previous book.

Several years ago, I read the first book in this series, and I really enjoyed it. The characters were great, the story interesting, and the pace perfect. As the series developed, I began to feel like Harris was no longer interested in writing a good story. Each new book was filled with continuity problems and storylines that made little sense. I was hoping that Deadlocked stopped this disappointing downhill slide, but I was hopeful on the verge of foolish.

Deadlocked drags along and does little to push the overall plot forward. Sookie has developed into a vapid and idiotic character. She constantly says ridiculous comments and behaves in irrational ways. Eric, once lively and exciting, is now unpleasant and unlikable. Bill just needs to go away and stop trying to get Sookie to like him. She doesn’t like you, boo. The relationship between Sookie and Eric is so nonexistent that I am surprised Harris decided to include feelings of frustration on Sookie’s part about the inevitable Eric/alpha vamp marriage. Just let it go, girl.

This book was boring. The series is annoying. The characters are worthless. I am upset about the development of the Southern Vampire series. It is apparent that Harris has no integrity or dedication. Her writing exemplifies her lost interest in the Bon Temps vampires. She exhibits little effort in her work and should have concluded this series about six books ago. My frustrations with this series are quite personal, because I become upset when writers do not feel the need to produce high quality work. To me, it seems that Harris is just looking forward to the conclusion of her contractual obligations. No worries, Harris. I’m right there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment