Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani


Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: April 3, 2012
Source: Publisher

The fateful first meeting of Enza and Ciro takes place amid the haunting majesty of the Italian Alps at the turn of the last century. Still teenagers, they are separated when Ciro is banished from his village and sent to hide in New York's Little Italy, apprenticed to a shoemaker, leaving a bereft Enza behind. But when her own family faces disaster, she, too, is forced to emigrate to America. Though destiny will reunite the star-crossed lovers, it will, just as abruptly, separate them once again—sending Ciro off to serve in World War I, while Enza is drawn into the glamorous world of the opera . . . and into the life of the international singing sensation Enrico Caruso. Still, Enza and Ciro have been touched by fate—and, ultimately, the power of their love will change their lives forever. A riveting historical epic of love and family, war and loss, risk and destiny, inspired by the author's own family history, The Shoemaker's Wife is the novel Adriana Trigiani was born to write.

The Skinny: One of the best books I have read this year.

I love everything about Italy. From the people to the food, I am enchanted by all things Italian. The Shoemaker’s Wife is a wonderful treat to satiate my appetite for the Italian culture. In this historical fiction, readers are introduced to Enza and Ciro and quickly fall in love with their story.

When Ciro is forced to emigrate from Italy to New York, Enza is provided with no explanation of his sudden departure, and she is devastated and left trying to help her family during trying circumstances. Ciro and Enza reunite in New York and their incredible love story unfolds.

This is one of my favorite reads of 2012. It is so richly descriptive, and I felt every character’s pang of uncertainty and every glimmer of hope as if they were my own. This story helps readers understand the journey that immigrants undertake when adjusting to a new life while trying to establish and maintain relationships. I was most impressed by the characters’ strength in the face of constant conflict and turmoil. Rather than being broken down by their situation, the characters always rise to a challenge and lean on each other to find the strength to move on. It is such a heartwarming theme, and I was inspired by their actions.

When I finished The Shoemaker’s Wife, I felt like my reading experience was complete. I did not have any lingering questions or regrets. The story is moving and the characters and plot feel authentic. This is the perfect story to read if you are looking for an interesting look at family and love. 


For more information about Adriana, be sure to visit her website www.adrianatrigiani.com, her Facebook page, or her Twitter account.




5 comments:

  1. "I felt like my reading experience was complete." - Now THAT is great feeling to have, and one I don't get from many books!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one fantastic review! You managed to convince me that this is one I HAVE to read! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing. I have heard really good things about Adriana Trigiani's books but I haven't picked any of them up yet. I think I may start with this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great story. Though I am not a big fan of historical fiction I do love Italy just like you. Such a romantic setting! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This book really sounds amazing, especially from how you described feeling complete after reading it! This must've been one heck of a good book!! <3 I absolutely love historical fiction, so I'm so glad that I came upon this review! Thanks for sharing the great review!

    ReplyDelete